Friday, June 10, 2011

Homemade Tiramisu

Happy Friday everyone! I am so excited it is finally Friday! It was a long week of summer school to say the least. I am extra excited for this weekend because tomorrow my mom and Allie (my maid of honor) are coming into town and then on Sunday all of my bridesmaids along with my mom are going to try on bridesmaid dresses as well as go to a bridal expo! It is definitely a jam packed girls weekend! :)

One love that Clint and I share is our sometimes over indulgence on dessert. On our very first date we learned that Tiramisu has always been our absolute favorite dessert. I know that I always have it on my birthday every year (and any other day if I can help it). I was even lucky enough that my Sweet 16 birthday cake was an enourmous tiramisu cake that served about 50 people!

In high school Clint had an Italian teacher who swore by her grandmother's authentic tiramisu. Lucky for me Clint sweet talked his way into her heart and she printed off a recipe for him that is now in our cookbook! We made it and I was so surprised how simple and delicious it was! We were literally licking the bowls and spoons as we were going, it was so tasty!

Here it is!

Dr. Ferrero's Tiramisu

Ingredients:

EGGS, 3 separated
SUGAR, 5 tablespoons
MASCARPONE CHEESE, 6 ounces
HEAVY CREAM, 1 cup
LADYFINGERS, 1 large package (approximately 36)
MARSALA WINE, 1 cup
ESPRESSO COFFEE, 1 cup
UNSWEETENED COCOA POWDER, 1/4 cup

Directions:

1. Combine egg yolks and sugar in a medium-sized bowl and beat well.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
3. In a third bowl, beat the cream to stiff peaks.
4. In a fourth larger bowl, combine the egg yolk mixture with the mascarpone. Then fold in the cream and mix well to produce a creamy mixture. Finally, add the egg whites.
5. Arrange a tight layer of ladyfingers in a serving dish (half of the ladyfingers).
6. Using a spoon, drizzle about half the wine and half the espresso over the ladyfingers.
7. Cover the ladyfingers with half of the mascarpone mixture.
8. Cover the filling with a second layer of ladyfingers and drizzle with the remaining wine and espresso.
9. Cover with the remaining mascarpone mixture.
10. Place the dish in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours
11. Top with cocoa before serving.







Clint and I were joking that since this was so good that we should make our own tiramisu wedding cake! Who knows, maybe we will ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment